24.9.07

To Sir.. with 'Love'..




Since time immemorial,
Real, unreal;
You have been inspiring,
Forgiving, forgetting;
Instilling, in us,
A new confidence!!


You believed in us
When no one else did;
Even if u didn’t,
At least you said you did.
Then why? Pray, why?
You didn’t give us a chance?


You were superficial,
Hearing, not listening,
You taught us, no doubt…
But that was no teaching.
Always, we felt, you acted,
You acted, as if in a trance!


But no matter how indifferent
You were; we were sure.
All we needed was a cause;
A cause, a reason, so pure;
And you provided us with the sense,
To break free and jump over the fence!


“Life is difficult”, you said.
“Full of trials”, you said.
We believed! This left an impact;
An impact that etched
Across our minds, and we knew…
We didn’t have to wait for a chance!


“It was time! “, we decided,
To break free from your shingles,
Because, we knew that if we didn’t,
We would never be able to mingle.
Your world was drastically different from ours!
That’s why what we said never made any sense!


But today, all is different.
We have proved our worth,
And here we stand before you,
Your eyes lack that look of no mirth.
A smile cracks upon your face,
As you break into a dance!!

2 comments:

ShantanuDas said...

The roses made me feel 'siggh I wish I had a student like you!!' but then I started reading...

"Then why? Pray, why?
You didn’t give us a chance?"
---what did you want to do?

"You taught us, no doubt…
But that was no teaching."
--- hey are you praising him? sure?? ohh I see u love him because he did not teach and trouble you, therefore...

"“Life is difficult”, you said.
“Full of trials”, you said.
We believed! This left an impact;"
--- arrey itna hi? Bass? I too know this and say this..! hai rey how easy it was too impact your mind and earn your love! Lucky guy!!


"A smile cracks upon your face,
As you break into a dance!!"
- dance? hmm Bhangra?

hmmm.. again pretty simple poem to understand.. but then is it really so?

Kriti? how do I enter your mind to find out the real you? that makes you sense what you sensed, that makes you want to love and yet not!

Kriti said...

Well, this one was written for this teacher of mine whom I totally idolised but ha d amjor argument with him later...

1) See, my teacher was very biased' extremely partial. He would appreciate and put his faith only in a select few. No matter how hard the others slogged, he won't care and that dampened my spirits.

2) I loved him because he was an awesome teacher... he just didn't trust his students.

3) It's not his words that left an impact... it was the fact that we believed! We never questioned him, never gave it a second thought. He was a major influence for all his students.

4) lol. No.. a dance of humility... of realisation... or progress..


Can't say. I've always written poetry but when it comes to analysing it, I find myself at a loss.

And well.. I can't enter my own mind!! ROFL